Important for understanding and introduction
- Pooke, Newall Art History: The Basics (Chapter 4 ‘Semiotics and poststructuralism’) – Done
- Christopher Butler Postmodernism – Very Short Introduction – Done
- C. Freeland Art Theory – Very Short Introductio‘ – in progress
- C. Belsey Poststructuralism – Very Short Introduction – Done
- D. Chandler Semiotics – the basics – Done
- Bryson, Holly, Mosey Visual Theory – in progress
Relevant for coursework
- A. D. Sokal ‘Transgressing the Boundaries: Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity – Done
- R.W. Emerson Essays and Lectures’ especially lecture from 1834 – Done
- Short ‘Peirce’s Theory of Signs – review what is helpful – open
- Winfried Nöth Handbook of Semiotics – heavy, dense, encyclopedia; review most relevant parts – in extracts
- Daniel W Smith Essay on Deleuze – review most relevant parts – Done
- M. Camille ‘Simulacrum’ in: Critical Terms for Art History – Done
Relevant for assignment
- Plato The Republic, VII (cave) –Done
- Susan Sontag On Photography – part that relates to the ‘cave’ – Done
- G. Deleuze and R. Krauss. ‘Plato and the Simulacrum’ in: October Vol. 27 – Done
- N. Goodman Languages of Art: An Approach to a Theory of Symbols – partly done
- J. Baudrillard Simulacra and Simulation – Done
- F. Saussure Course in General Linguistics – optional/ open
Other texts will result from my coursework and prep for assignment.
- Applied this time a more focused approach and read only the most relevant parts of books.
- I found the reading on topics but from several authors, especially on the conceptions by Plato and Deleuze, helped me to stay more focused and obtain a more in-depth knowledge than just browsing a wide area of topics.
- My researches on media e.g. film helped me to contextualize Plato and Deleuze in visual culture.
- I couldn’t go in-depth with all aspects that I found intriguing e.g. authenticity. I think I already got enough understanding at that stage.
- Reading postmodern and post-structuralists texts are not easy. I went back on certain key texts for re-reading.
- I sense that I need to take my reading further into practice. To see outside how relevant all those texts are. I find it tremendously important to get out of the theory into practice. Saying that doesn’t mean I am successful here.
- Interaction on the OCA forum helped me to response to topics raised by others in context of my reading. What helped me further to understand relevance. Also, I got a new sensibility for these topics when reading newspaper and journal articles.